Wednesday, August 26, 2009

School

Well it is back to school time so guess it's time for me to relay my school years. We moved from Decartur,Alabama to Friend, Ne in May 1946. That July I turned 5. so on Sept.4, 1946 I started to school in district # 68 Friend public schools., a very new red brick building. My teacher was Miss Hariette Hamilton. We had a large lovely room. In fact that room was later my Home Ec. room. A very strange thing that I've never known of in anybody but us---when I graduated for FHS I had 8 years of Home Ec behind me. In 5th grade they went to "Departmental" where we had a home room and moved about to different rooms and different teachers for different subjects. The boys had P.E. but they didn't know what to do with us girls so they started us in Home Ec. By H.S. some of the girls were tired of it and elected not to take it but not me! I loved it. We were also the first class in FHS to have driver's training. I still remain in touch and friends with several of those original classmates. I believe we got a good education in that small town school. Some of the lessons outside of the basic reading, writing and arthritimic that I was taught there I still use today. They have added onto the building and modernized it some but the old familiar is still there. If I looked out the back side of the school windows, looking west right acrossed the street form our playground was where my Father was born. Different house but same land. Now that is Roots! Go Bulldogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment